Time required: 2-3 weeks
Cost: Waived one time in a 5-year period
Reason for request: Volunteer
- Go to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
- Create a Keystone ID account
- This account will be used to check the status of your clearance application and for future website use.
- Once created, you will receive an email confirmation and temporary password; you must wait to receive this information before moving forward with your application.
- Click on the Child Welfare Portal link within your email.
- Select Login
- Select Access My Clearances
- Select Continue after scrolling down to the bottom of the page.
- Re-enter your Keystone ID and temporary password; you will then be prompted to create a permanent password.
- Once your permanent password is created, you will be redirected back to the login page; enter your new password and Keystone ID.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
- Select Create Clearance Application.
- Follow the instructions outlined on the website to complete the application.
- Select Volunteer Having Contact with Children: Applying for the purpose of volunteering as an adult for an unpaid position as a volunteer with a child-care service, a school or a program, activity or service, as a person responsible for the child's welfare or having direct volunteer contact with children as the purpose.
- Select Other as the Volunteer Category.
- Input CASA as the Agency Name
- After submitting all the information, select Submit Application.
What are the next steps of the process after I submit my application?
- You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been successfully submitted. Please save this confirmation email for your personal records as proof of submission.
- The PA Department of Human Services will process your application and you will receive email notification of the outcome within 14 days. You can review the submitted application at any time through your Child Welfare Account.
- Once you receive email notification of your completed application, please follow the instructs to provide a copy to CASA.
If you have trouble accessing the Child Welfare Portal website at any point, please contact the DHS Help Line at 1-877-343-0494. Between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday.